Learn how to make 5 gallons of laundry soap for less than $2! It works great and is so simple to make.
Making laundry soap is a great place to start when trying to get rid of conventional items from your home. It’s easy, works, and extremely cost effective.
It takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make 5 gallons of all natural laundry soap. I have been using this soap for six years and it has saved me so much money. You can change of the essential oils to make new scents each time you make it, have fun with it.
Get access to my online resource library for all my free printable labels and ebooks in one place.
HOMEMADE LAUNDRY SOAP WITH ESSENTIAL OILS VIDEO TUTORIAL
HOMEMADE LAUNDRY SOAP WITH ESSENTIAL OILS INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup borax (where to buy borax)
- 1/2 cup washing soda (where to buy washing soda)
- 1 Fels Napa soap bar, 5 ounces (where to buy fels napa soap bar)
- 5 gallon bucket with lid (I use one similar to this one)
- Cheese grater ( I use one similar to this one. I keep this one in the laundry room and have a different one for the kitchen)
- 30-50 drops of essential oils of choice (I list my favorites below)
HOMEMADE LAUNDRY SOAP WITH ESSENTIAL OILS INSTRUCTIONS
- Add 1/2 gallon of water to your bucket. Stir in borax and washing soda.
- Shred your soap bar with the cheese grater. Melt soap shreds in 1 cup of water over medium heat. Stir often.
- Add melted soap to the bucket and stir well.
- Add essential oils of choice.
- Fill the bucket the rest of the way with water. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Let sit overnight and then shake bucket really well.
NOTES: I like to pour the detergent in a 1/2 gallon jar to make uses easier. You can also store in old laundry soap containers. Shake well before each use. Use 1/2 cup of detergent per load.
BEST ESSENTIAL OILS FOR LAUNDRY SOAP
- LAVENDER- Lavender is a very calming, relaxing essential oil, with a lovely floral smell. This one is my favorite for laundry soap.
- WILD ORANGE- Invigorating, uplifting, and cleansing; wild orange is perfect for your laundry soap. It adds a fresh scent to your clean clothes.
- MELAEUCA- Melaleuca is a purifying and cleansing essential oil. If you ever forgot to put wet laundry straight in the dryer when it is done add 2-3 drops to the wet clothes and add to the dryer.
- PEPPERMINT- If you like a fresh, minty smell then this well be your oil. Peppermint makes a wonderful scent for your homemade laundry soap.
- EUCALYPTUS- Eucalyptus is a great oil to add to your laundry soap during times of sickness. The oil will freshen clothes and kill germs.
- LEMONGRASS- This citrus oil has a earthy smell and makes a great scent, especially for men.
- ROMAN CHAMOMILE- Another calming essential oil and great for kids. Roman chamomile adds a beautiful floral scent.
- CEDARWOOD- Another one for the men in your life. Cedarwood has a woodies scent that most men enjoy and it has cleansing properties making it great for your soap.
- PATCHOULI- Either you love it, or hate it. I am a patchouli lover and am obsessed with the scent. This is another favorite of mine for laundry.
- JASMINE- If you want to smell like a bed of flowers all day then add jasmine to your laundry soap. Jasmine is very calming and can help with stress and anxious feelings.
HOMEMADE LAUNDRY SOAP WITH ESSENTIAL OILS BLENDS
- 20 drops wild orange
- 15 drops lemon
- 10 drops lime
- 5 drops grapefruit
- 20 drops lavender
- 15 drops jasmine
- 10 drops pachouli
- 5 drops clary sage
GENTLE FOR BABY
- 25 drops lavender
- 10 drops roman chamomile
- 20 drops eucalyptus
- 15 drops melaleuca
- 10 drops lemon
- 5 drops peppermint
HOMEMADE FABRIC SOFTENER
- 1/2 gallon white vineger
- 1 cup baking soda
- 10 drops clove essential oil
- 5 drops of lemon essential oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a gallon size container.
- Shake until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Add 1/4 cup to each load.
HOMEMADE ALL NATURAL BLEACH
- 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 10 drops of lemon essential oil
Mix ingredients together and add to the bleach compartment of the washing machine.
“GET YOURSELF SOME DRYER BALLS!”
Real-wool dryer balls are the non-toxic way to soften your fabrics.
It truly works! HERE’S where I get mine.
And, you can throw a few drops of lavender or orange essential oil on them before you throw them in. Your family will thank you.
I use to add a few drops of lavender to a clean sock or wash cloth and add it to the dryer. I thought it was doing the same thing as dryer balls, until I actually got dryer balls.
Dryer balls have made my clothes softer and they dry faster than before.
Let’s talk laundry! If you have anymore recipes share them with me. I love to hear from you and bounce new ideas off each other.
I hope this post was helpful and you will find these recipes useful.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission with no extra cost to you.
HOMEMADE LAUNDRY SOAP WITH ESSENTIAL OILS PRINTABLE
- 1 cup Borax
- 1/2 cup washing soda
- 5 ounces fels napa soap , 1 soap bar
- 50 drops essential oils
- 5 gallons water
- Add 1/2 gallon of water to your bucket, stir in washing soda and borax.
- Shred soap bar with a cheese grater.
- Melt soap shreds in 1 cup of water over medium heat. Stir often.
- Add melted soap to 5 gallon bucket and stir well.
- Add essential oils of choice.
- Fill the bucket the rest of the way with water.
- Let sit overnight and then shake well.
Shake well before each use. Use 1/4 cup per load.
CHECK OUT MY OTHER DIY RECIPES USING YOUR ESSENTIAL OILS
PIN IT FOR LATER
Follow along with our oily house:
Thanks for stopping by our oily house!