Let’s discuss the benefits of oil pulling with coconut oil and essential oils. I am going to share the best way to incorporate this to make it part of your daily routine. And I am also going to share my favorite oil pulling recipe.
Have you heard of oil pulling? It’s all the hype in the natural living world. I must say I have dabbled in it a bit myself. Being consistent with it has been a struggle. So came up with a plan to make it part of my daily routine.
The hardest part about oil pulling is not being able to talk for 20 minutes. I have tried doing this in the morning while I’m making breakfast and found out that my kids need a million and one commands during that time.
Ok, so after dinner…nope, now my husband wants to talk! Haha! Its only 20 minutes people, but mama is pretty popular around here. And I am not going to complain about it. 😉
I started making coconut oil pods for oil pulling and keeping them in my refrigerator. After everyone is in bed for the night, I will pop one in my mouth while I am working on the blog. You can also oil pull while taking a shower, driving to work, or getting ready in the morning.
Find a time and try to get this into your regular routine. Once you get into the habit, it won’t be hard to stay consistent with it.
BENEFITS OF OIL PULLING WITH COCONUT OIL VIDEO
PIN IT FOR LATER
WHAT IS OIL PULLING?
Believe it or not, oil pulling has been around for many years. Yes, it is becoming more popular now, but it isn’t new. A lot of people are getting back into natural solutions and I am finding that all of these “new” health movements we are implementing are actually ancient practices.
Oil pulling is when you swish, suck, push, and pull oil though your teeth to kill harmful bacteria in the mouth. As you swish it around in the mouth the oil gets between each tooth, on the gums, and all the areas of the mouth.
HOW DO I OIL PULL?
Oiling pulling is incredibly simple, which is why I can’t believe it took me so long to incorporate it into my normal routine.
Add about one tablespoon of oil to your mouth and then swish it around for 20 minutes, and then spit it out. That’s it. Nothing fancy and definitely nothing pretty. 😉
WHICH OIL IS BEST FOR OIL PULLING?
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Get my full disclosure HERE.
Really any oil will work for oil pulling, but coconut oil seems to be the most common. I think most people choose coconut oil for the taste and because it has more added benefits. Get my favorite coconut oil to use HERE.
If you are allergic to coconut oil you can also try:
- Sesame oil
- Sunflower oil
- Almond oil
- Avocado oil
- Olive oil
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF OIL PULLING WITH COCONUT OIL?
Not only does coconut oil taste way better than swishing olive oil around in your mouth for 20 minutes, but it also has a lot of added benefits.
- The lauric acid found in coconut oil can attack bad bacteria in the mouth.
- Coconut oil has antiviral, antibacterial, and anti fungal properties.
- It can reduce plaque buildup, prevent tooth decay and fight gum disease.
- Coconut oil can reduce the bacteria in the mouth that causes bad breath.
- With its anti-inflammatory properties, coconut oil can also reduce gingivitis.
I am convinced that coconut oil is a natural remedy for whitening teeth too! I noticed whiter teeth after using my homemade toothpaste, but it may have to do with the baking soda. After doing a little research I found that it hasn’t been scientifically proven to whiten teeth, but many people (like myself) find that it does whiten teeth.
So I won’t claim this to be true, but I am going to continue to use it! 😉
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I OIL PULL WITH ESSENTIAL OILS?
It is suggested to oil pull once a day. If you can’t remember or don’t have time, strive for 3 times a week. It is best to oil pull and then brush your teeth.
I love adding a few essential oils into my coconut oil before oil pulling for added benefits. Several essential oils are great for dental health!
- Clove essential oil can be effective in preventing and treating cavities because of its antiviral, antibacterial, and anti fungal properties.
- Peppermint and spearmint are wonderful for freshening the breath just by putting a drop under the tongue.
- Tea tree essential oil has cleansing and purifying properties making it a great oil for dental health. Not my favorite taste, but I can tolerate it.
- Wild orange essential oil is another one of my favorite oils to add. It tastes delicious and has immune boosting and cleansing properties.
HOW DO I MAKE COCONUT OIL PULLING PODS WITH ESSENTIAL OILS?
OK so sharing this recipe almost seems silly, but I use them so I am sharing anyway. Oil pulling is so simple and only requires putting oil in your mouth, but I can be lazy. Especially when it comes to self-care for ME. I’ll do anything for my kids, but I seem to forget about myself a lot.
I started making these coconut oil pods so all I have to do is grab one out and throw it into my mouth. Something about them being pre-measured with the essential oils in them makes me more likely to do it.
1/2 cup coconut oil
20 drops of essential oils (optional)
Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan and remove from heat.
Let cool for about 10 minutes and then add in essential oils. You don’t want it to cool completely, as it will harden.
Pour the oil into a small silicone mold that holds around one tablespoon of oil.
Let the mixture sit overnight and then pop them out of the molds. If your house is warmer than 76 degrees then you will need to place them in the fridge to harden.
Store them in a mason jar in the fridge.
When you are ready to oil pull stick one pod into your mouth. Swish it around for 15-20 minutes and spit the oil out.
After oil pulling, brush your teeth with natural toothpaste and you’re done. Simple!
More post to check out:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 20 drops of essential oils (optional)
- Silicon molds
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan and remove from heat.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes and then add in essential oils. You don't want it to cool completely, as it will harden.
- Pour the oil into a small silicone mold that holds around one tablespoon of oil.
- Let the mixture sit overnight and then pop them out of the molds. If your house is warmer than 76 degrees then you will need to place them in the fridge to harden.
- Store them in a mason jar in the fridge.
- When you are ready to oil pull stick one pod into your mouth. Swish it around for 15-20 minutes and spit the oil out.
- After oil pulling, brush your teeth with natural toothpaste and you're done. Simple!