LEARN THE BASICS OF ESSENTIAL OILS: WHAT THEY ARE AND HOW TO USE THEM, WITH THIS ESSENTIAL OIL CRASH COURSE. ROLLER BOTTLE RECIPES AND NATURAL REMEDIES USING ONLY 10 ESSENTIAL OILS.
When essential oils first sparked my attention I was ready to jump in. Quickly, I realized how many options were out there. You can find essential oils in drugstores, health food stores, gas stations, online, basically everywhere.
I noticed the price varied A LOT! Wonder why? I started doing my own research and came across some interesting finds. The FDA doesn’t have regulations on essential oils so when a bottle says, “100% pure lemon essential oil”, it might not be.
This was annoying to me because that meant I was going to have to dig deeper and find a company I trusted in order to find pure essential oils. After researching, I decided doterra would be the essential oils I would use for several reasons. You can learn why I chose doterra here.
ESSENTIAL OIL CRASH COURSE VIDEO
WHAT ARE ESSENTIAL OILS
Essentail oils are aromatic compounds that are distilled for health benefits. Essential oils can be found on the leaf, stem, or flower of a plant. Woodies oils come from the bark of a tree and most citrus oils come from the peel of the fruit.
HOW TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS
Essential oils can be used three different ways: aromatically, topically, and internally.
For aromatic use: Add 4-6 drops of essential oils to a diffuser. Inhale oil straight out of the bottle. Add 1-2 drops of essential oil to your hands, rub together, cuff over the nose, and inhale.
For topical use: Apply topically to the area of concern or the pulse points, back of neck, down the spine, and bottom of feet. Neat oils can be applied with out diluting and hot oils need to be diluted in a carrier oil. Learn more about this and how to make a roller bottle HERE.
For internal use: Add 1-2 drops of essential oils in 4 ounces of water. Drop 1-2 drops under the tongue or make a veggie capsule. I have more information on taking essential oils internally HERE.
TOP 10 ESSENTIAL OILS
Let’s talk about the top 10 essential oils. These are the ones I use daily in my home. The oils that have taken over my medicine cabinet, my cleaning supplies, and beauty products.
ESSENTIAL OIL CRASH COURSE: LEMON
- Lemon cleanses and purifies the air and surfaces.
- When diffused, lemon is very uplifting, energizing, and can improve mood.
- It naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion.
- Apply topically to chest to break up mucus and when dealing with seasonal threats.
- Add one drop to water for refreshing and healthy drink.
- Add Lemon essential oil, vinegar, and water to a spray bottle for all purpose cleaner. Get all my cleaning recipes HERE.
ESSENTIAL OIL CRASH COURSE: LAVENDER
- Lavender is widely used for its calming and relaxing qualities.
- It soothes occasional skin irritations.
- Lavender reduces the appearance of skin imperfections.
- Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or the bottoms of feet to prepare for a restful night’s sleep.
- Freshen your linen closet, mattress, car, or the air with a light mist of Lavender combined with water in a spray bottle.
- Apply to babies jawline to help with teething.
- Diffuse in the bedroom over night to promote a better nigh sleep.
ESSENTIAL OIL CRASH COURSE: PEPPERMINT
- Rub on temples after you wake up for a morning energy boost.
- Diffuse when feeling fatigued or low on energy.
- Take internally to alleviate occasional stomach upset.
- Peppermint repels bugs naturally.
- Diffuse during study-time.
- Peppermint essential oil is great for immune support and overall wellness of the body.
- You can use peppermint for digestive support by applying it topically to the stomach and taking it internally.
- Try peppermint oil when dealing with motion sickness, upset stomach, queasiness, gas, bloating, and indigestion.
- Apply peppermint to the chest, bottom of the feet, and to the bridge of the nose for healthy respiratory support.
- This oil can help break up mucus and promote clear breathing.
- You can use this oil for relief from seasonal discomforts.
- Peppermint oil has a cooling effect on the body, therefore it can relieve head tension. Be sure not to get it to close to your eyes, it will burn!
- Use for sore muscles, aches, pains, and stiffness. Apply topically to the area of concern.
- Peppermint oil can be used to assist mood, promote focus, concentration, and boost energy.
- You can also use peppermint essential oil for cooking. My favorite is adding a drop into brownie batter to make mint chocolate brownies. You can use a drop in any dish or drink that calls for mint. If one drop is to much you can do the “toothpick drop”, by putting the tip of a toothpick in the oil then stirring that into the recipe.
ESSENTIAL OIL CRASH COURSE: MELALEUCA
- It promotes healthy immune function.
- For occasional skin irritations, apply 1-2 drops of melaleuca essential oil onto affected areas.
- Melaleuca helps to reduce the appearance of blemishes when applied to the skin.
- It supports feelings of open airways and easy breathing.
- Apply a couple drops to flaky, discolored, and brittle toenails.
ESSENTIAL OIL CRASH COURSE: OREGANO
- Put two to three drops of oregano in a veggie capsule to help maintain a healthy immune system.
- Oregano supports healthy digestion.
- It supports healthy respiratory function.
- Dilute Oregano with fractionated coconut oil and apply it to skin irritations.
- Take internally for viral and bacterial infections. (Only take for 10 days in a row)
- Apply topically for athletes foot and nail fungus.
- Take in a capsule for candida
- Dilute oregano and apply to the area of concern for warts and canker sores.
- Use in the kitchen to season sauces or main dishes.
ESSENTIAL OIL CRASH COURSE: FRANKINCENSE
- Frankincense is amazing for the skin. It can reduce blemishes, fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots. Apply topically to the area of concern. Add a drop on your hand with coconut oil for a daily moisturizer.
- It is also great for the hair and nails. Add a few drops to your shampoo or into your scalp for hair growth. Put a drop on your nail bed to help them grow strong and heathy.
- Frankincense is a very calming, soothing, and relaxing essential oil.
- This essential oil can promote a healthy respiratory system when applied topically to the chest, diffused, or taken internally.
- It can help break up mucus and promote clear breathing.
- Frankincense can help with digestive issues by applying it topically to the stomach and taking a drop internally. Any type of digestive issues this is going to help calm and soothe the stomach.
- Because frankincense can relive tension it makes a great natural solution for a hurting back, stiff neck, achey joints, and pains. Apply topically to the area of concern.
- Frankincense can be used for headache relief. Add a drop to the thumb and pressing against the roof of the mouth can reduce pain due to headaches. Or apply topically to temples, forehead, and back of neck.
- It can help reduce inflammation inside the body when taken internally.
- Frankincense is great for cellular health and cellular energy. This is so important because healthy cells is vital for overall wellness and a healthy immune system.
- Use frankincense to help boost the immune system. Take a drop internally whenever you are feeling sick or when you have been exposed to sickness and you want to boost the immune system. I make an immune boosting roller bottle with frankincense, melaleuca, oregano, and onguard. Learn more about that here.
ESSENTIAL OIL CRASH COURSE: BREATHE
- Maintains feelings of clear airways and easy breathing.
- Use for respiratory issues.
- Diffuse in the bedroom over night to promote healthy sleep.
- Apply to chest and bottom of feet when stuffy or congested.
- Add 1-2 drops in hot pan of water and inhale the steam.
- Make a shower melt with breathe and use when congested.
ESSENTIAL OIL CRASH COURSE: ON GUARD
- Add two to three drops in a veggie capsule for a quick immune boost.
- Diffuse to cleanse the air, uplift the mood, and to give off a sweet yet spicy aroma.
- Supports healthy teeth and gums.
- Use as an effective alternative to synthetic options for immune support.
- Supports the body’s natural antioxidant defenses.
- Can help with a healthy respiratory function.
- Supports healthy digestive function.
- Protects against environmental threats.
- Apply during fall and winter months, before or after going into crowed places.
- Add to water for an effective all-purpose cleaner for surfaces.
ESSENTIAL OIL CRASH COURSE: DIGESTZEN
- Take DigestZen to soothe occasional stomach discomfort.
- Eases feelings of queasiness.
- Helps reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion.
- Use topically or aromatically for motion sickness.
- Apply to stomach when you eat to much or are eating unhealthy to sooth stomach.
- Aids digestion by relaxing the colon.
- Apply topically or take internally when dealing with morning sickness.
ESSENTIAL OIL CRASH COURSE: DEEP BLUE
- Deep Blue is a blend of wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, yang yang, helichrysum, blue tansy, German chamomile, and osmanthus.
- Use deep blue topically for any type of muscle aches and pains. It is good to apply on feet and knees pre and post workout to help with soreness. It’s a perfect soothing blend after exercise.
- It is perfect to use topically with fractioned coconut oil for a soothing massage after a long day at work. You can rub deep bee on the lower back after heavy lifting.
- Deep blue diluted in fractionated coconut oil can be massaged on growing kids’ leg before bedtime.
- Deep blue is also great for massaging onto the hands, fingers, wrists, shoulders, and neck after long hours of sitting at your computer and typing.
- My favorite way to apply deep blue is with a roller bottle. You can add 20 drops of deep blue to a 10mL bottle and fill the rest with fractionated coconut oil. Apply to area of concern.
Check out my favorite blends using these 10 essential oils HERE.
What are your favorite essential oils? What ones do you use most often?
Follow along with our oily house:
Thanks for stopping by our oily house!