THIS SIMPLE SWEET POTATO TOAST RECIPE MAKES A DELICIOUS BREAKFAST OR SNACK. IT IS HEALTHY, GLUTEN FREE, AND EVERYONE WILL BE ASKING FOR MORE.
Ok yes this sweet potato “toast” isn’t toast at all, ya caught me! But I will say it is the next best thing, especially if you are gluten free. It is much healthier than regular toast and it is a great way to get more vegetables into your diet.
If you are anything like me, you are always looking for more healthy and EASY snacks for your kids, they must be growing! This sweet potato toast makes the perfect snack and it can even be perfect for a quick breakfast on the go. I have also served this as a side dish with dinner, basically serve this at anytime with anything.
SWEET POTATO TOAST RECIPE
- 1 large sweet potato
- Desired toppings (Check out my suggestions below!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the sweet potato into 1/2 inch slices and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until just soft, not mushy, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow it to cool for 5 minutes, and then add desired toppings.
NOTES: You can toast the sweet potatoes in a toaster instead of baking. It may take several rounds until the sweet potatoes are soft. I find the oven to be easier and quicker, especially if making for several people.
SWEET POTATO TOAST TOPPING
Ohhh this is the FUN part! You can get crazy or stick to the basics. Go sweet, salty, or savory. My kids love to help with this part and we love to make it a different way each time.
- Peanut Butter and jelly- Be sure to use natural peanut butter to avoid hydrogenated oils! Also look for jellies made with all fruit to avoid added sugars and sugar substitutes.
- Almond butter, honey, and banana- Spread the sweet potato with peanut butter, drizzle with honey, and top with sliced bananas. This is a favorite with the kids, trust me, I have 4 judges!
- Butter and cinnamon sugar- Mix together 1 teaspoon of coconut sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Spread the toast with butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Coconut cream and fresh berries- This one is a real treat and can pass as a dessert. Scoop a can of coconut cream into a mixing bowl and whip with a hand mixer for several minutes. Spread the coconut whipped cream onto the sweet potato toast and top with sliced berries.
- Avocado Slices- Simple, yet a delicious way to eat your sweet potato toast. Simply top it with avocado slices and sprinkle with salt.
- Fried Egg- Top the sweet potato with a fried egg and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Guac and eggs- Make fresh guacamole and top with slices of hard boil eggs. Sprinkle with red hot pepper flakes.
- Tomato basil- Top your sweet potato toast with avocado mayo, sliced tomatoes, and fresh basil.
- Hummus and sun dried tomatoes- Spread a thin layer of hummus onto the sweet potato toast and top with sun dried tomatoes. This is my personal favorite!
- Greek yogurt, avocado, and bacon- Now we are getting fancy! Spread a layer of greek yogurt or sour cream on the toast, top with slices of avocado, and sprinkle with bacon crumbles.
- Pesto and parmesan- Spread pesto sauce evenly over the sweet potato toast and sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese.
- Feta and spinach- Line spinach leafs on your sweet potato toast and top with feta cheese. Squeeze fresh lemon over top.
PREPARING YOUR SWEET POTATO TOAST
I see a lot of recipes floating around Pinterest about sweet potato toast and a lot of them show making it in the toaster. Though this does work, I don’t think it is the best option. It takes serval rounds of toasting before the sweet potato is soft enough to eat. If you are only making this for one person and going to be in the kitchen doing other things, then this may be a good option. However, every time I make these I am cooking for at least 4 people and I love having leftovers. I like to slice up several sweet potatoes at a time, bake them on cookie sheets, and then have them on hand for a quick snack through out the week. You can store the sweet potatoes in an airtight container for one week in the refrigerator. Keep your favorite toppings on hand and your set!
Have you jumped on the sweet potato toast band wagon yet?! IF so, what did you think? Did you go sweet or salty? Share your favorites with us in the comments below!
OTHER HEALTHY RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE
PIN IT FOR LATER
Follow along with our oily house:
Thanks for stopping by our oily house!
SWEET POTATO TOAST VIDEO TUTORIAL
Sweet Potato Toast
- 1 large sweet potato
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the sweet potato into 1/2 inch slices and place on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake until just soft, not mushy, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow it to cool for 5 minutes, and then add desired toppings.
You can toast the sweet potatoes in a toaster instead of baking. It may take several rounds until the sweet potatoes are soft. I find the oven to be easier and quicker, especially if making for more people.