Making your own all-natural vapor rub is easy and effective. Follow this simple recipe to learn how to make and how to use this homemade vapor rub.
ALL-NATURAL VAPOR RUB
Let’s first discuss why homemade! Vapor rubs are usually made with essential oils or a fragrance that smells similar to essential oil. Essential oils are not created equally, and I am pretty picky when it comes to the kind I use in my home.
Unfortunately, the FDA doesn’t have any regulations on essential oils, so you have to be very careful about where you are getting your oils from. I have heard and seen so many horror stories, rashes, and reactions from people using what they thought were pure essential oils.
I would prefer to use my own essential oils that I have researched like crazy and find to be pure before putting any synthetics on my children.
HOW TO USE HOMEMADE VAPOR RUB
All-natural vapor rub can be used on the bottom of the feet, the chest, and down the spine. Applying the vapor rub to the chest can help open up airways to promote clear, healthy breathing.
When applying the homemade vapor rub on kids, it is always good to apply it in an area they can’t reach with their hands to avoid getting the essential oils in their eyes or mouths. Applying it down the spine is a great place for that and can help support the body.
BEST ESSENTIAL OILS FOR IMMUNE SUPPORT
- Eucalyptus– open up airways.
- Peppermint– promote clear breathing.
- Frankincense– This one is good for everything!
- Lavender– As a bonus, this one will help to relax the body and promote healthy sleep.
- Lemon– boost the immune system
- Siberian Fir– lingering environmental threats
- Thyme– environmental threats
- Marjoram– promotes clear breathing
- Rosemary– soothing.
- Cinnamon– Powerful immune-boosting essential oil
- Clove– Similar to cinnamon, clove also has immune-boosting properties.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Get my full disclosure here.
HOW TO MAKE VAPOR RUB
Making your vapor rub can be as easy or complicated as you want! If you are going to make a larger batch for the fall and winter season, I would suggest using the recipe below.
It calls for coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax, and essential oils. You can use any carrier oil if you don’t have coconut oil on hand.
If you don’t have all these ingredients on hand and need to whip up something fast, you can simply use coconut oil to dilute the essential oils before rubbing them on. Believe me, in a pinch. I have done this several times! Think overnight with a baby!
The recipe calls for a double boiler. If you don’t have one, you can easily make one by placing a glass bowl over a pot of water, then bringing to a boil.
DILUTING ESSENTIAL OILS FOR HOMEMADE VAPOR RUB
This recipe will make about 6 ounces of vapor rub. Follow the chart below to know how many essential oils to add to your recipe.
- Adults: 30-40 drops of essential oils
- Children 13 and under: 15-20 drops essential oils
- Babies under 1: 8-10 drops of essential oils
All-Natural Vapor Rub
Making your own all-natural vapor rub is easy and effective. Follow this simple recipe to learn how to make vapor rub.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- 10 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 10 drops clove essential oil
- Place all the ingredients, except the essential oils, in a double boiler.
- Remove from the heat once everything is melted.
- Allow to cool slightly and then add in essential oils.
- Store in a glass airtight container.
If making this recipe for children under 13 use 5 drops of each essential oil. If making for a baby under the age of 1 only use 2 drops of each essential oil.
Leave a Comment: